Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Questions to ponder ...



This past Sunday's sermon was definitely challenging stuff. I was just thinking that I've probably listened to hundreds and probably even thousands of sermons over the years.

And it was kinda sad to realize that I've forgotten most of them. I wonder how many of them I've actually put into practice. So many seem to go in one ear and out the other.

Hopefully the messages will become something more. The challenge is putting into practice what we've heard. True conviction should lead to a response.

Pastor Harrison gave us 4 questions to ask ourselves to determine whether we are trusting in our ourselves or if we are trusting in God. Simple questions ... but yet so difficult to do.

1) Which is growing more: my accomplishments or my relationships?

2) Are the needs of others causing me to neglect the care of my soul?

3) Am I growing more and more dissatisfied with my life?

4) Am I growing more and more impatient with others?


The downside with getting older is that we tend to become less patient, more dissatisfied and unfortunately, too easily satisfied with so many things other than God.

Then again, age doesn't really matter ... it affects all of us ... young and old.

God, may you be my complete satisfaction. May your grace and your amazing love cause me to be more gracious to others as the years go by.

2 comments:

  1. 1. my accomplishments =( I find it's harder to make and maintain friends as I get older. I think my family relationship is slightly better though
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes.

    Now what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm ... good question. I think it's a matter of being able to trust God and to slowly surrender things to Him. It's prayer ... asking Him to change us and for His spirit to cause us to love when we can't love ... to be patient when we don't want to be. It's His glorious life inside of us empowering us. I think that's the only way.

    ReplyDelete